Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Work on the bridge won't be completed until sometime in 2024.
Why is it takiing so long to repair the Ardsley Road bridge? 2 and a half years -work won't be completed until sometime in 2024
During the past two and a half years the NY State Department of Transportation has been working to rehabilitate the Ardsley Road bridge over the Sprain Parkway. There have been many, many delays - and months when no work was done on the bridge. A lane on the bridge has been closed to motorists for over two and a half years. It would have been faster to take a rocket to Mars from planet Earth! Fortunately, the work to repair this bridge just resumed during the past week. This is an update. PAUL FEINER
Andre Greaves- Burrows, of the NYSDOT, is the Engineer-In-Charge of the Ardsley Rd bridge over Sprain Brook Pkwy rehab project, provides these updates:
As background information, during the progression of the rehab work in 2022, it was discovered that the main steel girders of the structure had significant deterioration and required repairs that were not anticipated as part of the original contract. The steel repairs must be completed prior to replacing the existing gas main on the bridge, as well as constructing the Structural Deck (bridge roadway).
· The Structural Steel to perform the repairs had to be fabricated, which took longer than anticipated. The steel was just delivered 9/18/23 and placed off-site due to lack of space on the site itself.
· Preparation for the repairs (paint cleaning, etc.) were done in the meantime.
· It is anticipated that the steel repairs will be completed by approximately three weeks. Please note, the repair work will be performed under the bridge so it may not be visible to the public from above, but there will be activity going on.
· After the repairs are made, a new gas line main will be installed.
· The construction of the concrete roadway can begin after that.
· The Contractor’s latest schedule anticipates completing the Ardsley Rd westbound roadway by November of 2023 and overall completion by June 2024.
The Department will continue to work with the Contractor to develop strategies which may aid in reducing the construction time at the site and return the roadway to its original configuration.Please note that although work on the bridge has been delayed because of unforeseen conditions, there has been no impact or disruption to traffic along Ardsley Rd since the lane shift continues to maintain the same number of lanes prior to construction (1-lane in each direction).
I will continue to update the Town as construction continues.
New York State Departm