News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/5/2021 8:52:08 AM to 10/2/2021 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash

News & Town Board Reports (gblist)

Posted on: September 5, 2021

[ARCHIVED] How to get reimbursed for property losses from FEMA

In person help at Grinton Will Library
FEMA hotline
parking restrictions at residential section of E Hartsdale Ave waived till Saturday morning
Please share experiences you have (success stories and disappointments)

FEMA hotline: 800) 339-1759, daily, 8:30 am to 4:30 p.m. for help with banking, insurance and claim issues.

  • In person help:  the Grinton I. Will Library, at 1500 Central Park Ave, Yonkers
Many residents of Greenburgh have contacted me about getting reimbursed from FEMA for property losses.  This information may be helpful. I would be very grateful if you would share experiences you have with FEMA. If you lost your car due to the storm or experienced other property losses and don't have the insurance coverage for flood related damages, are you able to successfully get financial help from FEMA?   During past storms have not always had great results with residential properties. I'm hopeful that you will have more successes during this storm.

ALSO - IF YOU RESIDE ON EAST HARTSDALE AVE - residents who live on 100 E Hartsdale Ave suffered significant car losses after their garage collapsed. The parking in their building will be unavailable while they build the garage wall and tow all the cars out and clean the garage. As a result I have exercised my ability to suspend parking laws on E Hartsdale Ave in the residential area (not commercial area). Residents will not be ticketed this week (till Saturday AM).
You can receive help at the Grinton WIll Library at 1500 Central Park AVe in Yonkers from the Mobile Command Center.

The MCC is staffed  can provide residents and business owners impacted by the storm with insurance information regarding policy coverage for losses and suggestions on how to document their losses and safeguard their property. Appointments are not necessary. If you are not able to visit the MCC in person, call the  Disaster Hotline at (800) 339-1759, daily, 8:30 am to 4:30 p.m. for help with banking, insurance and claim issues.

  • The MCC is currently stationed at the Grinton I. Will Library, at 1500 Central Park Ave, Yonkers.

Mamaroneck: Village Court House, 169 Mt. Pleasant Avenue

Hours: Daily from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Information for those affected by Hurricane Ida on how to apply for FEMA Assistance:

How to Apply for FEMA Assistance

New Yorkers recovering from the impact of a federally declared disaster can register for disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Assistance for losses may include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low - cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs to help recover from the effects of the disaster. Even those with insurance may be eligible for help from FEMA if their insurance policy does not cover all their needs.

Before you Register

Check with FEMA to see if your area is covered by the disaster declaration.

When you are ready to apply, have the following information ready:

  • Phone number
  • Current and pre-disaster address
  • Total household annual income
  • Social Security number, if available
  • A general list of damages and losses
  • If insured, the name of insurance company, agent and policy number
  • Bank routing number and account number for any direct deposit.

Step 1: Register with FEMA

There are several ways to register:

After applying for aid, you will receive a nine-digit registration number that can be used for reference when corresponding with FEMA.

Step 2: Receive a property inspection

Within a few days of registration, eligible applicants will be given an appointment to have their damaged property inspected. The inspectors, who are FEMA contractors and carry identification badges, visit to make a record of damage. They do not make a determination regarding assistance. There is no cost for the inspection.

Step 3: Status Letters and Follow-Up

All applicants will receive a letter from FEMA regarding the status of their requests for federal assistance. Some will also receive an application for a low-interest disaster recovery loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Those who receive an application packet from the SBA should complete and submit the forms. No one is required to accept a loan but submitting the application may open the door to additional FEMA grants.


Anyone who has questions about the letter from FEMA should call (800) 621-3362 or TTY, (800) 462-7585.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in News & Town Board Reports (gblist)

Summer Help Wanted

Posted on: March 14, 2023


Posted on: January 27, 2023