Bureau of Sanitation
Sanitation Collection Reminders
BULK AND METAL COLLECTION
- SCHEDULE BULK AND METAL PICKUPS HERE
- Bulk garbage and metal pickups are available by appointment only. Appointments are scheduled for bulk items on Thursdays or Fridays and metal items on Tuesdays. Collections are limited to 2-3 items. Please be aware that there is a high demand for collection appointments, with limited slots per week. We ask for your patience as we are working to schedule appointments as soon possible.
- Residents that find they have more than the allowed 2-3 items should seek services of a private carting service or junk removal company. Many of these firms provide opportunities for re-use of your discarded items.
- When purchasing a large item, such as a mattress, appliance, or furniture, check with your retailer about disposal options for your older item. Residents are encouraged to donate items when possible, try Furniture Sharehouse: https://furnituresharehouse.org/
- County regulations require mandatory recycling of all e-waste. This includes computers, TVs, printers, etc.
- E-Waste is accepted at the Westchester County Household Materials Recovery Facility, located at 15 Woods Road, Valhalla, New York. Residents can reserve a time slot for appointments up to two weeks in advance. To make or cancel an appointment, call the Recycling Help Line at (914) 813-5425. More information can be found here: https://environment.westchestergov.com/facilities/h-mrf
- For more information on the proper handling of electronic waste in Westchester, please visit the County website here: https://environment.westchestergov.com/residents/recycling-guidelines/electronics-monitors-tvs
- A list of acceptable e-waste items can be found here: Acceptable E-Waste Items
ORGANIC YARD WASTE
- Organic waste pickup (i.e. leaves, cut up and tied branches, as per the Town Code) continues weekly – no appointment or call necessary. Just place your organic yard waste at the curb in open containers, or bundled and tied – no plastic! Please note:
- Leaves and grass clippings must be in paper yard waste bags or open, reusable containers. Consider mulching for improved yard care.
- Branches and twigs must be tied and bundled in small bundles – less than 4 feet long and bundle size total less than 2 feet across. No logs or stumps.
- The Town does NOT pick up material from private contractors. For example, if you hire a contractor to remove a tree, they are responsible for hauling away the debris.
- The Town does NOT collect debris from tree removals, or gardeners renovating a property.
- Christmas trees are picked up with organic yard waste - no appointment or call necessary. Please place your tree to the curb with all lights, ornaments, and decorations removed. The tree should not be in a plastic bag.
AUTOMATED SIDE-ARM SERVICE REMINDERS
- Only material in the Town Issued cart is collected.
- Do NOT pile garbage on top of the container. It will not be collected.
- Do not place loose trash in the cart. Bag all debris.
- Practice social distancing with your carts – keep them 3- feet apart/away from other objects.
- NO PLASTIC BAGS! Place recyclables loosely in the Town issued recycling cart.
- ONLY use the Town Issued cart for commingled recycling
- Need a larger commingled recycling cart? Call us – we deliver! (914) 989-1581 or (914) 989-1580
- Cardboard Boxes must be broken down into flat pieces.
- Quick and simple way to flatten boxes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkHYFNSKuU
- Cardboard should be tied into bundles or placed in an open, reusable container. Keep the weight under 50-pounds. Paper is still collected manually by our Sanitation Workers. Keep it from blowing on windy days and help us by being aware.
ALL MATERIAL MUST BE AT THE STREET EDGE BY 7:00 am.
The Town DPW office is available to you at (914) 989-1581 or (914) 989-1580, or by email at email@example.com
As always, we are at your service. Thank you and be safe!!
- 2021 Sanitation Calendars
- Bulk Pickup
- Commingled Material
- Electronic Waste
- Fall Leaf Collection
- Large Metal Items
- Paper / Cardboard Pulp
- Yard Waste
You must call the Department of Public Works office at (914)989-1580 to schedule pick-up for large or bulk, non-metal items that do not fit into your garbage for collection. Bulk pick-ups for non-metal items are scheduled for your second garbage day of the week and require at least 2 days prior notice to schedule.
- "Gable-Top" Cartons such as milk, cream, and juice are placed with other recycle containers made of metal, glass, and plastic for collection. Do not mix paper and cardboard recyclables.
- Clean Aluminum Foil and Trays should be rinsed to free them of food particles and residue. All material should be combined together at curbside in a container or box that will be emptied and left for reuse.
- Glass jars and bottles of all types and colors re acceptable; labels my remain on and metal caps included.
- Metal cans should only consist of food and pet food types, labels my remain on and metal lids included.
- Plastic bottles such as soda, juice, milk jugs, and detergent containers that are coded with numbers 1 through 7 are acceptable.
Items such as televisions, cell phones, computers, keyboards, printers, scanners, fax machines, and more shall not be placed in the garbage and must be bought to the Town Highway Yard for drop off Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 .m. to 3 p.m.
The Town Highway Yard is located at:
100 Sprain Road
Ardsley, NY 10502
A list of acceptable Electronic Waste items can be found here.
- County regulations require mandatory recycling of all e-waste.
- Local retailers may accept electronic waste regardless of the origin of purchase. Please check county website or call a retailer directly for further information.
- E-Waste is accepted at the Westchester County Household Materials Recovery Facility, located at 15 Woods Road, Valhalla, New York. Residents can reserve a time slot for appointments up to two weeks in advance. To make or cancel an appointment, call the Recycling Help Line at (914) 813-5425. More information can be found here.
- For more information on the proper handling of electronic waste in Westchester, please visit the county website here.
- A list of acceptable e-waste items can be found here: Acceptable E-Waste Items
The town encourages mulching of leaves. Bagged or contained leaves will be collected weekly during the fall leaf collection program. the town no longer picks up leaf piles.
Leaves must be bagged or placed in open containers!
Large metal items that do not fit into your recycling container, including appliances, are collected by appointment only, on Tuesdays. For collection, you must call 914-989-1580 to schedule large metal items for pickup. At least 2 days prior notice is required to schedule.
- Brown grocery bags should be folded and placed inside of another kraft bag, or bag may be used to contain newspaper and junk mail
- Cardboard must be "non-wax" cardboard and free of excessive amounts of plastic adhesive tape. Staples need not be removed. It can either be broken up and placed inside a container/cardboard box or used to contain newspaper.
- Magazines consisting of envelopes, sweepstakes forms and office papers
- Newspaper including inserts, may be bundled or placed in a container or box that can be emptied and left for reuse.
Mulch! Mulch! Mulch! The Town encourages mulching grass clippings and leaves, “Love ‘Em and Leave ‘Em.”
View the Lele Page for more information about the benefits of mulching.
Collection of organic yard waste including tree debris is limited as follows:
- Grass clippings and other organic yard waste must be placed in biodegradable paper bags or open containers with weight not exceeding 50 pounds, no Plastic bags. Pickup occurs Wednesday through Friday.
- The Town does not collect debris from private tree removals.
- Tree debris must be tied and bundled into lengths not more than four feet and width not more than two feet, or placed in an open container. The Town will not pick up tree trunks.