Sanitation Collection Reminders
During this crisis, the Town DPW strives to continue services to our residents. We offer the following reminders to help improve our sanitation collection services and clarify expectations of offered and available services.
BULK AND METAL COLLECTION DISCONTINUED
- There is NO bulk garbage or metal pick up until further notice. Please do not leave uncollected material at the curb, as this is in violation of Town Code.
- Residents following current “stay-at-home” directives and doing “spring-clean-up” should seek services of a private carting service or junk removal company to remove the excess bulk garbage. Many of these firms provide opportunities for re-use of your discarded household items.
ORGANIC YARD WASTE
- Organic waste pickup (i.e. leaves, cut up and tied branches, as per the Town Code) continues weekly – no appointment or call necessary. Just place your organic yard waste at the curb in open containers, or bundled and tied – no plastic! Please note:
- Leaves and grass clippings must be in paper yard waste bags or open, reusable containers. Consider mulching for improved yard care.
- Branches and twigs must be tied and bundled in small bundles – less than 4 feet long and bundle size total less than 2 feet across. No logs or stumps.
- The Town does NOT pick up material from private contractors. For example, if you hire a contractor to remove a tree, they are responsible for hauling away the debris.
- The Town does NOT collect debris from tree removals, or gardeners renovating a property.
AUTOMATED SIDE-ARM SERVICE REMINDERS:
- Only material in the Town Issued cart is collected.
- Do NOT pile garbage on top of the container. It will not be collected.
- Do not place loose trash in the cart. Bag all debris.
- Practice social distancing with your cart – keep them 3- feet apart/away from other objects.
- NO PLASTIC BAGS! Place recyclables loosely in the Town issued recycling cart.
- ONLY use the Town Issued cart or Bin
- Need a larger recycling cart? Call us – we deliver! (914)-989-1580.
- Cardboard Boxes must be ripped into flat pieces.
- Cardboard should be tied into bundles or placed in an open, reusable container. Keep the weight under 50-pounds. Paper is still collected manually by our Sanitation Workers. Keep it from blowing on windy days and help us by being aware.
- ALL MATERIAL MUST BE AT THE STREET EDGE BY 7:00 am.
The Town DPW office is available to you at (914)989-1581 or (914) 989-1580, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
As always, we are at your service. Thank you and be safe!!
Important message regarding COVID-19: Due to ongoing changes to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Department of Public Works has made some changes regarding Sanitation. The collection of household garbage, commingled recycling, and paper recycling will continue on a regular schedule, strictly following all regulations, which can be found here. All garbage and recycling MUST be placed curbside by 7:00 am. All bulk pickup services have been suspended until further notice. If you have something that you cannot wait to dispose of, you can find a list of private transfer stations & processing facilities here. The e-waste drop off site at the DPW Yard is closed until further notice. Town Hall and the DPW Yard are closed to the public until further notice. Office staff can be reached by phone (914-989-1580) or email (email@example.com) if you have any questions. Any changes will be posted to the Town website. You can sign up to receive Town alerts here. We apologize for any inconvenience. Stay safe.
The Department of Public Works (DPW) provides essential services to Town of Greenburgh residents and their communities.
Information and updates regarding current and upcoming projects within the Department of Public Works, including the Bureau of Engineering and Water & Sewer Department.
The Bureau of Engineering administers the Steep slope, Stormwater, Floodplain, Watercourse and Fill permits to ensure that proposed projects conform to the laws and regulations of the Town Code.
The Water and Sewer Department is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the Town potable water and wastewater public utilities.
The Bureau of Highway is responsible for necessary roadway maintenance, snow plowing, drainage repair and maintenance, sweeping, tree work (within Town right-of-way), guide rails and curbing.
The Bureau of Sanitation provides solid waste, paper recycling, commingle recycling, brush/ yard waste and bulk item collection for Town of Greenburgh residents on an established schedule.
Review the Department of Public Works Code Enforcement.
The Communications Division is responsible for the repair and maintenance of Town traffic lights and street lights.