Welcome to the Town of Greenburgh
News & Information  
  Select News to View

Please select the year.
2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002

Back to Article List

Let's work hard to restore Odell House (Ridge Road)
Release Date: July 04, 2018

HISTORIC HOUSE ON RIDGE ROAD WHICH WAS USED DURING REVOLUTIONARY WAR by ROCHAMBEAU IS RAPIDLY DETERIORATING--TOWN SEEKING FUNDS TO RESTORE HOUSE

ON JULY 4TH LET'S REFLECT ON THE ROLE THE ODELL HOUSE HAD IN AMERICAN HISTORY

 

Odell House-Rochambeau Headquarters at 425 Ridge Road in the

Hartsdale section of Greenburgh. The early 1700’s farmhouse, which served as headquarters
for French General Rochambeau for six weeks in 1781 during the Philipsburg Encampment
 

 

The Town of Greenburgh is assisting the Sons of the American Revolution (private owner of the historic Odell House on Ridge Road)  in seeking to obtain  a grant to continue restoration efforts for the Odell House. We believe that at least $500,000 will have to be spent to save the building.  In recent years, the condition of the house has deteriorated. A grant opportunity exists through the New York State Consolidated Funding Application process (Environmental Protection Fund), which will be submitted later this month. The funds sought will be used for architectural planning/design and construction work for an initial phase of securing the house from a structural/safety standpoint. It is anticipated that additional funding will be necessary to bring the house full circle, to a point where the house is publicly accessible. The Odell House is part of the Washington-Rochambeau National Historic Trail and its history and story can only properly be conveyed through a restored site. Although the Town does not own the site, it is hoped that continued Town assistance can be a contributor towards the goal of preserving the Odell House.  

 

It would be a crime not to take action. This house played an important role in our nation's history. There is currently a historic marker at the site of the house.
 

Paul Feiner Greenburgh Town Supervisor

 

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
 
 
Odell House
size
Odell House is located in New York
Odell House
Location 425 Ridge Road, GreenburghNew York, United States
   
Area 1 acre (0.40 hectares)
Built 1732
   
Added to NRHP March 28, 1973 (45 years ago)

The Odell House is a historic home located at GreenburghWestchester County, New York, United States. During the American Revolutionary War, the Odell farm served as headquarters of Count de Rochambeau and campsite for the French expeditionary forces under his command from July 6 to August 18, 1781.

The house consists of a 1 12-story central section erected in 1732, with flanking wings. The east wing was built in 1765 as a 1 12-story structure and raised to a full two stories in 1785. The central section and east wing are of wood-frame construction, covered with cedar wood shingles, and rest on a fieldstone foundation. The 2-story stone west wing was built between 1853 and 1855. The house features three divided Dutch doors.

In 1965, the house was deeded to the New York chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution.[2]

It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.[1]




Print this page Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page




Contact Information | Home | Town Supervisor | Town Council | Town Clerk's Office | Tax Department | Departments | Documents & Forms | Town Code | GIS Maps, Tax and Assessment Information | Agendas & Minutes | Watch Live Board Meetings | Public Access TV On Demand | Links | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Employment Opportunities | Town Updates by E-Mail | Pay Parking Tickets Online | Pay Water Bill Online | On-Line Tax Payments | Map to Town Hall
Use Mobile Site

Copyright © 2013 Town of Greenburgh, NY. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Cit-e-Net