TRAGEDY AVOIDED BECAUSE OF BUILDING DEPT ACTION AGAINST ILLEGAL BASEMENT APARTMENT
Last night the Building dept took action that probably saved lives. I would like to express my thanks to the Building dept, Fairview Fire Dept and Greenburgh police dept for their efforts. This highlights the importance of our code enforcement initiatives.
The address is 45 Gibson Avenue. It’s a one-family house that also contained an illegal basement apartment. There were small children in the house which totaled 13 people. There was a gas hot water heater that had its flue exhaust and gasses vented directly into a space where people were living. Additionally, there were wires in the electric service panel that were melted from overheating. The Police Department assisted Building Department staff in gaining entry to the house. After the inspector’s observed how dangerous this situation was, the Fairview Fire Department was called. They conducted heat tests at the roof level and found the temperature to be approximately, intimating that a fire was imminent. Con Edison was called and upon viewing the danger cut the gas and electric services. The Red Cross was called and came to the scene and assisted the occupants to be relocated. This surely would have ended in death(s) if the Town did not act.
Greenburgh Town Supervisor